Thursday 25 April 2013

Political Parties in Nigeria: Any Differnce Between Them?

I am looking at the political parties in Nigeria and I want to ask, are there any differences between them really? I told a friend that I like PDP and he was surprised. I am not surprised anyway because of what is happening in the polity. 

PDP is synonymous with corruption, lack of democratic ideals, in fact all negative things. That is what people have painted the party to be. That name calling has been on for a long time and is bound to continue. Today, APC is the new name on the lips of people as the long awaited hope for Nigeria. I pray that becomes a reality.

I wish to state early here that I am not a member of PDP. I have my reasons for saying I like PDP. I am not endorsing PDP. My reasons are subject of another day.


However, I ask this question about whether there are any difference between the parties. Or maybe I should ask if there are differences between the politicians who are members of all the political parties. Is one party full of corrupt members and the other full of saints? Are members of one party blameless without blemish and the others criminals, suitable for the hangman's noose?

If we go back to history we can remember that all parties in Nigeria were formed by strange bedfellows. They were looking for avenue to grab power. And because everyone is looking for power he doesn't mind who else is in the boat. When it happened that power has eluded them some move out to form their own parties. When they leave the other party is now bad and so on.

Does this means I am justifying that PDP is wrongfully accused? Far from it. I am saying every party has its own faults. None of them is free from the tendency to do wrong. No one is infallible. We have heard reports of lack of internal democracy in some parties, we have heard of imposition of candidates in some parties, we have also heard of corruption by politicians from other parties.

It is people that make up these parties. The people make the party good or bad. It is the people we should condemn. If we can shape the people into the kind of people we want, we can get the kind of Nigeria we want. Let us challenge the people directly. Let the world know when any member of any party does any wrong. Let us expose the person. There are good people in all parties. But if we carpet the whole party as being bad what chances are we giving these good people in the party.

If you know any difference between the political parties in Nigeria, I implore you to please share with us.

#2015OnMyMind

#PoliticalGabriel



0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 The Political Animal In Me, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena